Mayor and Council

The Mayor and Town Council are dedicated to the concerns of the citizens of Killam and their surrounding community. Regular Town Council meetings (located in the Town Office Council Chambers), are held on the third Thursday of the month. Issues regarding the community are addressed and resolved.  If you are interested in attending a council meeting as a delegate, you are required to complete and submit the following form to the CAO three (3) business days prior to the meeting.  Forms are also available at the Killam Town Office.

Please Note:  The December regular Council meeting has been moved to Wednesday, December 13, 2017.

Council Delegation Form

The Mayor, Town Council and Staff can be contacted through the Town Office at (780) 385-3977, fax at (780) 385-2120 or at their contact numbers below.  Unless otherwise noted, Regular Council Meetings begin at 7:00pm. 

Financial Statements and Budgets

2016 Financial Statement for the Town of Killam has been approved.

2016 Financial Statement for the Killam Recreation Board has been approved.

In order to help our residents understand where their taxation dollars are allocated, please see the final 2016 Operations Budget that was approved by Council.

2017 Operations Budget           2016 Operations Budget

2017-2021 Elected Council

Mayor Ben KellertMayor Ben Kellert
780-307-3251

Ben Kellert was born and raised on a farm west of Hay Lakes, AB and attended New Sarepta School until Grade 10.  Due to his Father's health issues, the family relocated to Wetaskiwin, where Ben completed High School.  Ben attended college in Edmonton and later moved to Calgary. He has since lived in Brooks, Barrhead and Edmonton.

Ben and his wife Tanny moved to Killam in 2015, to pastor at a local church, and are enjoying the community and its people.  They have two grown and married children and in January of 2017, they also became Grandparents to a beautiful baby girl.  Ben has served on numerous committees and boards (FCSS, Seniors Housing, Appeal and Advisory, Community League and Chamber of Commerce) in various communities he's resided in, and has a desire to make a positive difference wherever he is.

Mayor Kellert is looking forward to working with the new Council members and meeting each,  present and future, resident of this great community!

Clr. Brenda Grove (Incumbant)
780-385-2391

Clr. Grove was born and raised in Hardisty. After graduation, she attended Estelle Academy of Hair Design in Edmonton. Since then, Brenda has continued on her journey to satisfy her thirst for knowledge. Brenda, her husband Ron, and their three children moved to Killam in 2012 to be closer to family. Brenda likes to be active in any activity that piques her children's interest. Clr. Grove enjoys catering and was a key planner in the Lougheed Community suppers.

Clr. Rick Krys

Clr. Rick Krys (Incumbant)
780-385-3859

Clr. Krys was born and raised on a farm southeast of Vermilion. He graduated High School in 1990 and went on to take one year of Engineering at Red Deer College. He returned to Vermilion to work at the Co-op for 3 years before transferring to Killam in 1993. Rick later began working for Grainline Implements and completed his Parts Technician Journeyman Certification in 2000, at which time he was promoted to Parts Manager.
Rick is married to Shanon Mochid and have 2 beautiful children, Tyler and Abbygail. Rick is Captain of the local Volunteer Fire Department, and has been actively involved with the Lions Club and Jr. B Wheat Kings Hockey organization for many years. Clr. Krys cherishes this community and counts it as one of the best places to live.

Clr. Brenda McDermott

Clr. Brenda McDermott (Incumbant)
780-385-2491

Clr. McDermott was born and raised in the Alliance area and graduated from Sedgewick Central High School. She then moved to the Galahad area where she began her family of three children, which has now grown to include five grandchildren. While in Slave Lake, Clr. McDermott began her career in childcare. Upon her return to Killam, she began working at Flagstaff Family Day Home Society, then to Flagstaff Family and Community Services, and currently is employed with the Town of Daysland.

Clr. McDermott considers herself to be an avid learner and strives for excellence in her undertakings. She has been very involved in the communities she has lived in, having a passion for rural Alberta. Clr. McDermott is active on a number of volunteer boards and is looking forward to working with the newly acclaimed council for the upcoming term.

Clr. Heidi Pierce
780-254-0001

Born and raised in Viking, Alberta, Clr. Pierce attended SAIT after graduation, and completed a 2 year Legal Assistant diploma course.  After completion she worked in Calgary for serveral months before deciding to move back to rural Alberta, obtaining a job in Camrose.  In February 2007, Clr. Pierce and her husband moved to Killam, where she began her employment with S. James Agencies Ltd. as a General Insurance Broker.  By 2008, Heidi had completed and obtained her Level 1 and Level 2 General Insurance License.  In 2012, Heidi completed the Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker program, finishing with honours.  Clr. Pierce is continuing to better herself and has enrolled in the Canadian Professional Insurance Broker program, working on completing the designation.

Clr. Pierce is married to Lee Pierce, and together they have a son, Karson.  Heidi is an active board member of the Flagstaff Kids Connection Daycare and since 2012 is also host to exchange students with the Canada Homestay Network Program.

Council Committee List  Members of Council are required to take part and represent various community organizations and boards.  A listing of those representatives can be found here.

What's New!

Town Office Holiday Schedule

The Killam Town Office will be CLOSED for the from Dec 25, 2017 to Jan 2 2018......[MORE]

Scholarship & Bursary Opportunity!

The Killam & District Health Care Foundation is offering students and employees a chance to apply......[MORE]

Turkey Bingo

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at the Killam Hall......[MORE]